4-H was brought to Liberia by United States Peace Corps volunteers that worked with the Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Education in the 1960s. The first 4-H Club was established in Maryland County by a U.S. Peace Corps volunteer named Sandy Covey. Because of its success, the Ministries of Agriculture and Education adopted 4-H clubs in schools. At its height, 4-H had a membership of 27,000 young people in 1950 clubs.
The Peace Corps slowed down its operation in Liberia and many volunteers left the country in 1980 because of the military coup that brought former President Samuel K. Doe to power. The Ministries of Agriculture and Education tried to sustain 4-H Clubs but the clubs did not function as they did prior to the coup.
In 2006, 9 students from 3 universities in Monrovia met to establish an institution that would give children practical leadership skills to empower them to be self-reliant, good citizens.
One of the students came across 4-H on the internet. The vision and mission statement matched the students’ idea. They wrote to the National 4-H Headquarters in the U.S. asking for permission to establish 4-H clubs in Liberia. One of the Program Specialists, James Kahler, told them that they could establish 4-H clubs, but there is no International 4-H. Every country is responsible for her own institution.
In August 2006, 4-H Liberia applied for an article of incorporation, and it was received in September of the same year.